This page is for informational purposes only. Jacoby & Meyers is not currently taking Accutane cases.
Acne is one of the most common skin diseases in the United States and affects 60 million Americans, according to The Acne Resource Center Online. Many of those acne sufferers have sought treatment for one of the most severe forms, nodular acne. Accutane, made by Roche USA Pharmaceuticals, treats nodular acne but is known to also cause devastating side effects including birth defects and mental problems that can lead to suicide.
If you or a loved one has taken Accutane and experienced serious side effects, you’ll want an Accutane attorney experienced in defective drug cases to determine your claim’s possibility for financial compensation.
Accutane Timeline of Disclosure
- 1983 – Accutane released on the market
- 1986 – Accutane’s warning label notes some potential risk of depression
- 1997 – Accutane’s maker required to include risk of suicide in European labels
- 1999 – FDA finally requires the US version packaging to be modified
- 2000 – 66 suicides/1300 psychiatric Accutane-related cases reported to the FDA
- 2001 – New labels and consent forms required for Accutane, earning users about signs of depression
- 2006 – Roche Holding AG informs the FDA that Accutane will be withdrawn from the market due to costs involved in defending 5,000 personal injury claims
- 2007 – The FDA launches a web page to warn against buying Accutane online and its generic versions at www.fda.gov/buyonline/accutane
Generic Names for Accutane
Isotretinoin is sold online under the brand name Accutane but may also come in generic forms with such names as:
Accutane Side Effects
Accutane (isotretinoin) can cause severe side effects like birth defects and serious mental problems that can lead to suicide. The drug may also cause less serious side effects that create:
- Loss of interest in social aspects or sports
- Weight or appetite changes
- Drop in school performance
Finding an Accutane Attorney
If you have taken Accutane and suffered from the serious side effects of the drug, the attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers can help you receive the compensation you deserve. Our lawyers will review your claim and advise you on the best way to proceed.