Llámenos para consultas gratis
Call Us for Free Consultations

There may be a time when your criminal record gets in the way of you living your life. We all make mistakes, but these mistakes should not prevent us from:

  • Getting a job
  • Buying a home
  • Obtaining a professional license

If you are having trouble with moving forward with your life because of your criminal record, you can contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you get an expungement of your criminal record.

Criminal Expungement

A criminal expungement is the legal process to seal a criminal record. A criminal record can never be destroyed or permanently sealed. However, a criminal record can be sealed from public review.

Expungement is usually sought after by those who were never convicted of a crime or who never entered a guilty plea in a case. If you are interested in sealing your criminal record, you must prove to a Judge the following:

  • The disadvantage of your record being public harms you more than the public not having access to your record
  • You have been rehabilitated and will not comment another crime
  • Your attempts to find a job, buy a home, or obtain a professional license have been denied
  • Public safety will not be compromised by sealing your criminal record

Sealed court files may be seen by some officials for specific purposes. Those that are allowed to review sealed files include:

  • The police
  • State patrol
  • Other law enforcement officials
  • Certain public officials
  • Immigration authorities

There are certain types of offences that cannot be sealed with a criminal expungement. These offenses include:

Every state has different laws governing criminal expungement. Not all states allow the expungement of criminal records. Each jurisdiction has specific guidelines regarding how an expungement may be filed and who is eligible for an expungement.

Having a lawyer on your side who is experienced and knowledgeable about the certain laws and guidelines for expungement in your area is vital. Please contact the law office of Jacoby & Meyers to set up a consultation with a lawyer to help you. We have offices throughout the U.S.