Manufacturers of sports utility vehicles have known for years that their products are top heavy and prone to SUV rollover accidents. In many cases, the SUV rollovers are caused by tire blowouts. However in many more, the high center of gravity of the vehicle, a poorly designed suspension system, and inadequate brakes cause or contribute to the rollover accident.
During a rollover accident, the SUV turns over on its side or roof. This generally occurs when:
- The vehicle is making a sharp turn at high speeds
- The vehicle loses control and veers off the road
- Poor weather conditions exist, causing the vehicle to skid or fishtail
SUV Rollover Accident Injuries
SUV rollover accidents often lead to serious injuries, including:
The serious nature of these injuries frequently results in costly medical bills, long recovery periods, and in severe cases, lifetime disabilities which may require ongoing care. If you are faced with these medical and financial hardships, the auto accident lawyers at Jacoby & Meyers can help you receive the compensation you need to recover from your injuries.
The Facts about SUV Rollover Accidents
Unfortunately, many SUV drivers are not aware of the dangers associated with SUV rollover accidents, falsely believing that the size and weight of the vehicle provides additional protection. Nothing can be farther from the truth. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Roughly 11,000 fatal rollover accidents occur every year
- Rollover accidents make up more than half of all single vehicle auto accident deaths
- Rollover accidents increase your risk of serious personal injury by 36%
- Over 90% of rollover accidents involve a single vehicle
Experienced Auto Accident Representation
The auto accident attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers can help you receive the compensation you deserve if you have been seriously injured in an SUV rollover accident. Even if there are no other vehicles involved in the accident, it is possible that vehicle defects contributed to your injuries. If our lawyers determine that a defective auto was responsible for your accident, we can help you hold the auto manufacturer responsible for your injuries.