If you have been the victim of a truck accident, your life has most likely changed dramatically. You may face a long and difficult recovery filled with physical, financial, and emotional challenges for you and your family. Fortunately, you do not have to go through this difficult time alone.
The truck accident lawyers at Jacoby & Meyers are here to help you. We will provide you with assistance on every aspect of your claim so that you can focus on getting better. We have the skills and experience to battle with the trucking company’s insurance carrier to ensure that you receive a fair settlement which covers all of your medical expenses.
Causes of Truck Accidents
There are a variety of reasons truck accidents occur. Unfortunately, all too often, they are the result of driver error or inadequate truck driver training. Approximately one quarter of all truck accidents are the result of avoidable driver errors.
Many trucking companies place pressure on drivers to put in long hours in an attempt to maximize profits. However, safety is often sacrificed due to truck driver fatigue caused by working excessively long shifts.
Other causes of truck accidents include:
- Excessive or imbalanced loads on trucks
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Poor maintenance of the vehicle
- Driver inexperience
- Failure to see other vehicles in the truck’s blind spot
Truck Accident Injuries
Due to the large size and weight of trucks, injuries tend to be more catastrophic than those suffered in auto accidents. These include:
What to do After a Truck Accident
It is important to take the following steps if you have been injured in a truck accident:
- Seek medical attention immediately, if necessary
- Contact the police and fill out an accident report
- Record the name, contact information, driver’s license number, and insurance information of the truck driver
- Record the name and contact information of any witnesses
- Take photographs of the accident site
- Report the accident to your insurance company
- Consult an experienced truck accident lawyer
While you should report the truck accident to your insurance company, you should never give a written or verbal statement regarding the details of the accident to an insurance agent until you consult with a truck accident attorney. Often, insurance companies will try to get you to provide a statement which admits fault or limits their liability. By consulting with a lawyer first, you will ensure that your compensation is not unfairly reduced.